*Content warning – We talk with Sheridyn Cannon about her son’s intense battle with drug addiction and his multiple relapses.
We’re bringing back this heartbreaking episode with Sheridyn Cannon as she talks about her son’s addiction, and how it changed her and her family’s life. Sheridyn shares how her son Cade’s drug addiction started at a young age and how years of addiction affected them both through rehab, jail, and, finally, sobriety.
Learn More About Sheridyn:
Sheridyn and her husband Gary have been in the Real Estate industry for a combined 55+ years. They own their own brokerage and have for over 30 years. They were married in 1998 with Sheridyn having 2 children and Gary 1, they blended their family and had twins in 2001 together. His, mine, and ours! Sheridyn’s oldest son, at the age of 15 was in a motocross racing accident and had broken several bones. While recovering he was prescribed pain meds (opioids) and loved the effect they had on him. He quickly became addicted to oxycontin which led to heroin. Sheridyn is gracious to share her 5+ year battle with child addiction. She hopes to encourage and inspire anyone who is searching, hoping, and praying there is something you can do as a parent to save your child. Her then 23-year-old daughter got caught up in and addicted to crack cocaine. Blending families brings on its own challenges itself, throw in a couple of drug addicts, and there you have it! Grateful to say now both her son and daughter are doing remarkable and both clean.
- 02:49 – Meet Cade
- 05:49 – How Cade’s addiction started
- 09:56 – The moment Sheridyn knew her son had shifted from prescription drugs to heroin
- 11:03 – The denial period, defending her son, and the toll it took on her marriage
- 13:06 – Sheridyn’s 1st piece of advice for parents dealing with a child addict
- 16:40 – The darkest point for Sheridyn
- 21:59 – Why the 5th rehab program helped Cade the most
- 24:12 – Cade’s rock bottom and the major life event that changed his life for the better
- 34:37 – Where Cade is today
- 36:40 – Sheridyn’s 2nd piece of advice for parents of children struggling with addiction
- 38:40 – Advice for the mother dealing with shame
Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- If you or someone you know is struggling with substance abuse, call the SAMHSA’s National Hotline at 1-800-662-HELP. It’s free, confidential, and available 24/7, 365 days a year.
- Are video podcasts more your style? Subscribe to our YouTube channel!
- We’d love to hear from you! Send us a message on Instagram or Facebook.
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for listening to our podcast! If you enjoyed this episode and think that others could benefit from listening, please share it using the social media buttons on this page.
Do you have some feedback or questions about this episode? Leave a comment in the section below!
Subscribe to the Podcast:
If you would like to get automatic updates of new podcast episodes, you can subscribe to the podcast on iTunes or Stitcher. You can also subscribe from the podcast app on your mobile device.
Leave Us an iTunes Review:
Ratings and reviews from our listeners are extremely valuable to us and greatly appreciated. They help our podcast rank higher on iTunes, which exposes our show to more awesome listeners like you. If you have a minute, please leave an honest review on iTunes.