Practicing yoga is not only a great form of physical exercise, it has many benefits for your mental health too. In this episode, we talk with yoga and mindfulness expert, Beth Shaw about the healing benefits of the practice as it relates to mental health, specifically depression and anxiety.
Learn More About Beth:
Beth Shaw s a pioneer in the Wellness, Yoga & Fitness space in North America. Beth is single-handedly responsible for the widespread growth of yoga throughout the span of the U.S. and Canada. In 1994, she founded the global mind-body education school, YogaFit, which has since certified over 200,000 instructors worldwide. Recently, Beth has led training in Saudi Arabia, Israel, Japan, and many other international locations, while her team leads training throughout North America, Australia, and Europe. She believes, “in empowering cultures and sharing the gift of yoga beyond borders.” Through the continuous development of YogaFit, Beth remains at the forefront as President, creating programs and yoga teacher training courses that are innovative and educational.
Beth is also a best-selling author, her premier book, YogaFit has sold over 100,000 units worldwide. Now her latest, Healing Trauma with Yoga, is another best-seller and helping many during this pandemic. Shaw’s following book, YogaLean, is a lifestyle program that provides tools for maintaining optimal health. The YogaFit Athlete has inspired a 100-hour YogaFit for Athlete’s specialty track for instructors. All books have been translated into multiple languages, providing the universal appeal of YogaFit.
Beth is a go-to yoga/mindfulness expert in the media and has been featured in numerous fitness, business, and consumer publications including SELF, Yoga Journal, Huffington Post, New York Times, Time Magazine, LA Times, Entrepreneur, Washington Post, and USA Today.
- [01:47] Meet Beth and how she got started doing yoga and how it’s transformed her life
- [04:17] The benefits of yoga and the role it plays against trauma, anxiety, and depression
- [06:38] How the yoga practice creates a healing space in your body if you’re dealing with trauma
- [08:36] Why you should incorporate yoga practice into your life
- [11:14] How the pandemic has affected Beth’s yoga business
- [15:30] The mental and physical benefits of yoga as you age
- [16:58] Why yoga is an important tool if you struggle with your mental health
- [18:58] Where to begin if you’re just starting to practice yoga
Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Connect with Beth on Instagram and learn more about her YogaFit programs here.
- You can also order a copy of Beth’s books, Healing Trauma with Yoga and Yoga Lean.
- We’d love to hear from you! Send us a message on Instagram or Facebook.
- Do you want your next vacation to be in luxury? Book your exclusive retreat here.
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for listening to our podcast! If you enjoyed this episode and think that others could benefit from listening, please share it using the social media buttons on this page.
Do you have some feedback or questions about this episode? Leave a comment in the section below!
Subscribe to the Podcast:
If you would like to get automatic updates of new podcast episodes, you can subscribe to the podcast on iTunes or Stitcher. You can also subscribe from the podcast app on your mobile device.
Leave Us an iTunes Review:
Ratings and reviews from our listeners are extremely valuable to us and greatly appreciated. They help our podcast rank higher on iTunes, which exposes our show to more awesome listeners like you. If you have a minute, please leave an honest review on iTunes.